Transformation Support Department
- Transformation Support Department (TSD) supports the ongoing transformation of NATO. TSD ensures with CBRN Subject Matter Expertise (SME) the fulfilment of JCBRN Defence COE’s task portfolio. This includes supporting NATO CBRN defence capability development.
- Supporting NATO CBRN defence concept and doctrine development.
- Supporting the NATO Defence Planning Process (NDPP).
- Supporting Concept Development and Experimentation (CD&E) in the CBRN defence domain. Within TSD’s range of tasks are providing Chairmanship and Secretary of the (JCBRND-CDG) Doctrine and Terminology Panel (DTP).
- Providing liaison to all the other CDG panels (except TEP).
- Providing the custodianship of AJP-3.8, ATP-3.8.1 VOL. I, and as well as of JPOWS.
- Supporting the harmonization of CBRN defence relevant content within Allied Joint Publications and Allied Tactical Publications.
- Support the NATO Transformation process through Concept Development and Experimentation (CD&E) in the CBRN defence area.
- Supporting ACT to develop the NATO Defence Planning Process (NDPP), focussed on the determination of requirements and the Capability Requirement Review.
- Supporting ACO and NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCIA) in the development of the CBRN Functional Service for Command and Control of operations.
Operations Support Department
Operations Support Department (OSD) is to provide CBRN operational support to NATO and sponsoring nations:
- The Reachback Section (RBS) provides timely and comprehensive scientific / technical and operational CBRN expertise, assessments and advice to NATO commanders, their staff and deployed forces during the planning and execution of operations. RBS is to provides such answers to NATO HQ, SHAPE, JCBRN Defence COE sponsoring nations and other relevant bodies.
- The Operational Planning Support Section (OPSS) provides support in CBRN Defence planning process to NATO Military Authorities, NATO Command Structure, NATO Force Structure, Participants and CP, other NATO Member States, European Union, European Council and European Military
The Modelling & Simulation Section (M&SS) provides CBRN Predictions (maps/plumes/calculations) to support CBRN Reachback, CBRN planning and Training, Exercises and Education, Capabilities Development and Experimentation and Doctrinal Development.
Education, Training and Evaluation Department
The COE’s educational pillar is being implemented by the Education, Training and Evaluation Department (ETED) which supports the Education and Training (E&T) in the CBRN Defence area. The ETED develops events in support of the Education and Individual Training as well as Collective Training and Exercises.
As for the Collective Training and Exercises (CT&E), it provides Subject Matter Expertise to all aspects of exercises, as well as exercise scenario developments and implementation. Next, the ETED members participate in the evaluation process and the NATO Lessons Learned process in the CBRN area. The ETED administers the NATO CBRN Defence Community of Interest located on NATO Lessons Learned Portal to facilitate sharing of information among the Community members.
As for the Education and Individual Training, the ETED plans, organises, conducts and hosts highly specialised courses (NATO approved courses and NATO listed courses), as well as training events for CBRN specialists. The ETED also provides Mobile Training Solutions (MTS) on request. The Quality Assurance (QA) mechanisms are being applied during all events organised by the JCBRN Defence COE.
The JCBRN Defence COE conducts the Department Head (DH) functionalities for the Weapons of Mass Destruction/Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defence (WMD/CBRND) E&T Discipline. The ETED manages the Discipline Alignment Plan (DAP), the WMD/CBRND Annual Discipline Conference and other supportive workshops.
The ETED chairs the Training and Exercise Panel (TEP) under the Joint CBRN Defence Capability Development Group (CDG).
- Suport the JCBRN Defence COE with logistic and Communication Information System material and services.
- Further evolve security measures with respect to NATO standards.
- Provide organizational, logistical, Communication Information Systems.
- Administrative support for meetings and training events.